Friday, February 22, 2008

So, you guys think you suck better than me?

You do? YOU DO. INTERESTING.

Melanie, Rachel, Brian. Maybe you've forgotten, or maybe you are unaware, of the one time I almost burnt down my apartment.

It all started one lazy afternoon, when I was still living with Rachel in Cary. I decided to boil some water for pasta. While the water was boiling, I decided I should probably do some light cleaning. Then, I got a phone call from Amy Pyles! She wanted to eat dinner with me! How exciting. I WAS feeling quite hungry. Would she want to go now? I feel like I am forgetting something...but, it must not be TOO important! Let's go!

Dinner with Amy was SO MUCH FUN. We went to Two Guys, I think, and I ordered lasagna, I think. I ate until I thought I might start oozing (poop), and still had leftovers for another meal. This was really turning into the perfect day. Can anyone think of anything more perfect than sleeping until 4 and then eating lasagna? I sure can't. Anyway......

OH MY GOD I LEFT THE STOVE ON.

I have been "boiling water" for over two hours. I rush to put my leftovers in a to-go box (what? Give up leftover lasagna for a potential fire? COME ON), pay, and drive quickly home, praying that my apartment is still there.

Lucky for me, it is. I rush inside and the pot is glowing BRIGHT RED. ALL OVER. I run over and turn the stove off, move the pot off the burner, and - I am no pot anatomy expert but the metal insides of the pot have melted and are oozing out all over the stove top. EW! But..neat!

It's true that I didn't ACTUALLY burn my apartment down, and everything turned out mostly okay, especially since the pot I ruined was Rachel's, not mine. But I'm pretty sure I win this round because general suckiness seems to be based on two things - the edibility of the result and the danger level of the situation. I almost burnt my apartment down AND I had nothing to show for it. Not even the water that I started with. NOTHING.

The end.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

So... funny story... YOU SO NEVER EVER TOLD ME THAT THIS HAPPENED.

Are you serious???? I mean, you definitely mentioned leaving a pot boiling for too long, but never any of the "wow, I hope you have renter's insurance" part.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!!! Ok, I can, but if you were anyone else, I WOULDN'T BELIEVE YOU.

I DO remember you trying to deep fry plantains (seriously? weird.) and setting the stove on fire.

... how are we still alive?

yay.email said...

Your entries are always the best. I laughed and laughed at this, especially this part:

But I'm pretty sure I win this round because general suckiness seems to be based on two things - the edibleness of the result and the danger level of the situation. I almost burnt my apartment down AND I had nothing to show for it. Not even the water that I started with. NOTHING.

<3 EMILY

Anonymous said...

Rachel - I TOTALLY TOLD YOU THIS STORY. I'm pretty sure I also promised to buy you a new pot, which I never did. I should order one for you and have it shipped! Wouldn't that be exciting?

Melanie - I enjoyed your salmon story, too!

Kelly said...

I have heard this story before but still laughed hysterically through the whole thing!