Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A few crockpot dishes

I guess I should get my own food blog instead of continuing to post in here, even though my food wasn't TERRIBLE. Maybe next time.

I just got the crock pot that "we" registered for, and I was excited to test it out. I made two new dishes.

Spicy Chicken Wings in Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 3 pounds chicken wings (16 wings)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons prepared mustard or spicy mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • Tabasco to taste, optional (I didn't use any Tobasco sauce)

Preparation:

Rinse chicken wings; pat dry. Cut off and discard wing tips then cut each wing at the joint to make two sections (I didn't have to do this part because I bought wings that were already prepared). Sprinkle wing pieces with salt and pepper; place wings on an lightly oiled broiler pan.

Broil about 4 inches from the heat for 10 minutes on each side, or until chicken wings are nicely browned (I also didn't bother to broil my chicken first, since I don't have a broiler pan, and also I'm lazy). Transfer chicken wings to crockpot (the first step that I actually followed).

In a bowl, combine barbecue sauce, honey, spicy mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco. Pour sauce over chicken wings. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or on High 2 to 2 1/2 hours (I cooked on low for 6-ish hours). Serve directly from slow cooker, keeping temperature on LOW. Makes about 30 chicken wings (you should ignore this, as it is impossible for a recipe that calls for 16 raw wings to make 30 cooked wings...unless....MAGIC?!).

Conclusion:

This was an easy and tasty recipe. I would make it again, exactly the way I made it this time.

Beef Stew II

  • 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons margarine
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 carrots, sliced
  • 3 stalks celery, sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 potatoes (added by me)
Serves 8 people.

Preparation:

  1. Dredge beef cubes in flour until evenly coated.
  2. Melt butter in saute pan and saute coated beef cubes until evenly brown.
  3. Transfer beef to slow cooker and add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, cloves, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Pour in water and stir.
  4. Cover and cook on Low 10 to 12 hours or on High 5 to 6 hours (I did it on high).
Conclusion:

It ended up kind of bland, and the flavor it did have was weird. I am chalking it up to accidentally pouring way too many ground cloves in when I was trying to measure out 1/8 teaspoon OVER the pot. Not smart. I think if I tried again, I would use a different recipe.

I have pictures of these, which I will post later.

3 comments:

Penney said...

I like crockpot dishes, although I have to admit, I left wings back in college. One day (after college) I just started to NOT want them. However, the recipe magically turns 16 wings into 30 because the recipe takes the unprepared wings and breaks it into two pieces: 16 X 2 = 32, so I guess 2 get lost somewhere?

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I see. That makes sense. I never ate wings in college, so maybe that's why I still occasionally want them now :)

yay.email said...

Emily, I feel you! I think I've eaten wings maybe twice in my life and every now and then, I get to wondering what they taste like. Then I realize I don't know any wing places. But now I can make my own, WOO!