Friday, February 22, 2008

Depression

I'm depressed. It started with the mayonnaise. I had such high hopes of this wonderful mayonnaise that I could make that would make for a wonderful dipping sauce for the chicken paninis that Tommy was making (the chicken was leftover from the chicken we roasted last weekend).

Back to the mayonnaise. It was runny and garlicy and gross. Gross gross gross. What went wrong? Did I add the oil too fast? Did I add too much oil? Too little oil? Was I supposed to let the egg come to room temperature before using it? Was my lemon juice bad (I used a very old lemon with some dark moldy spots on it)? Did I add too much garlic? Do I just suck at making mayonnaise? Oh I just don't know!

The panini was bad too. Edible (I only ate half of mine before giving up), but bad. It was not the right way to use the leftover (mostly dark meat) chicken. The wine sucked too, although it improved slightly after eating and getting all food tastes out of my mouth and off of my taste buds. Everything sucked, except for the freshly baked loaf of whole wheat bread from Whole Foods and the raw cow's milk cheese.

One day I will try to make mayonnaise again, but only after I watch Amy make it. Maybe she can give me a one-on-one lesson when we visit Seattle in April.

All of this makes me depressed. Hopefully when I make homemade Samoas tomorrow, I will be successful and not depressed anymore.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Hm - Melanie also said the recipe I had was very lemony - however, it's always been good for me. I use the recipe from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. So I blame him.

You do have to add the first 1/2 cup of oil very very very slowly. And then add more, eyeballing how much you think you'll need (no more than 1/2 a cup more).

Anyways. I bought an expensive bottle of wine (for me at least) tonight. And i'm going to try the walnut gorgonzola penne. Wish me luck!

Rachel said...

I think your problem was... you were making mayonnaise. It's just gross no matter how you make it.

Try some ranch dressing :)

ek said...

yep, i'm definitely with rachel.

yay.email said...

For the most part, I liked Amy's mayonnaise. I agree that it was runnier than I was expecting, but I was okay with that because it was a binder for some crab cakes I was making. Also, the light lemon taste was funny at first, I think because I'd never had lemony mayo before. I don't know if I added the first 1/2 cup VERY VERY slowly. If I added it too slowly, the oil just slid down the side of the measuring cup. A little faster and steady-stream-ish and it seemed to do just fine. Good ol' food processor.