Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cheesy spinach ravioli

I got a pasta maker for Christmas and have successfully made pasta with it, but I have really been wanting to make some ravioli!
ooooo isn't it shiny?

Derrick and I love those spinach raviolis from COSTCO so I dug up a recipe. I used the recipe that came with my pasta maker (sort of- it calls for 500 grams of flour so I just guessed that maybe this was the same as 3 cups) :
3 c. flour (it calls for special pasta flour but I use whole wheat to make it healthier)
4 eggs
* Pile flour in a bowl, make a dent in the middle and crack the eggs into it. Mix it up until its all stuck together, then take it out of the bowl and knead on floured surface. Add small amts of flour and knead until the ball doesn't stick to you or the surface. Then add a little more. The dough has to be really dry to work in the pasta maker.

and then the following for the stuffing:
1/4 c. cracker (I used bread) crumbs
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese (I only had more like 1/4)
1/4 c. cooked spinach (this seemed like not enough so I used closer to 3/4 c)
1 egg
So basically I didn't really follow the recipe at all ;)

I rolled out the pasta and lined up teaspoonfuls of stuffing along one edge, fold, and seal! Then trim and cook as usual.

Despite my inability to follow directions, it still came out really the well. The only problem with this cooking escapade was the thickness of the pasta sheet I rolled out. I only went to level 5 and it was too thick, almost tough. So next time I will roll it out thinner and they will be perfect!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That actually looks like it'd be really fun. Making pasta, that is.

Kelly said...

It is! Its like playing with play-doh except you can eat it at the end.

yay.email said...

Haha. I find this awesome, especially since some people don't even need the play-doh to be edible before eating it.