Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Biscuits of Shame

I've long claimed to be some sort of superior biscuits maker, which is why it was kind of humbling that my sister totally kicked my ass at a biscuit bake-off last weekend.





Her biscuits were pretty good and man mine were not so good. Elizabeth is very humble in her account of her victory in her write-up of the event. However, I was there, and I can tell you my biscuits were flat, dry little hockey pucks. Square hockey pucks. The ones on the left that don't look much like a tasty biscuit.



I'd like to blame my downfall on not using self-rising flour, but instead a combination of unbleached all-purpose and cake flour, but Elizabeth used the same flour I did, so no reason to complain there. Basically, it comes down to not using enough baking powder and then over-baking. End result: flat little hockey pucks. Granted, put enough jam on it and it's still edible. But Elizabeth definitely won that round.

No comments: