Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Pie!

I know this blog is supposed to be all about cooking disasters, but I don't care, 'cause I just baked my first pie! And it was edible! And it was apple!


It's not very pretty, but it sure tasted good. This leads me to conclude that it is impossible to go wrong when following a recipe that calls for one cup of sugar, and pie crust. I got the recipe from my sister Kelly, who got it from the back of a Trader Joe's pie crust box. I didn't make my own crust - maybe next time? Anyway, Kelly told me that I can get away with not peeling the apples before putting them in the pie, and I witnessed it firsthand when I tried her delicious non-peeled apple pie. So in an effort to save time and energy, I opted not to peel my apples, and I couldn't tell a difference.

It was particularly tasty with vanilla frozen yogurt on top.



Mark ate his plain because he's lame.


Here's the recipe:

Trader Joe's Gourmet Apple Pie

Objective
To make an apple pie that is not gross, burnt, hard, or otherwise inedible.

Ingredients

- 9 to 9-1/2 inch pie pan
- 1 package pie crust
- 3 pounds Granny Smith Apples, peeled cored and sliced (in my case, just cored and sliced)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream

Serves six to eight.

Procedure

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare crust according to package directions. Set aside two tablespoons sugar. Mix remaining sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves, and salt together and sprinkle over apples. Toss well to coat.

2. Mound apples on top of crust. Cut butter into small pieces and dot pieces over the apples. Carefully place top crust over apples. Press and crimp edges of the top and bottom crust together at the rim of the pan. Brush the top crust all over with milk or cream and sprinkle with sugar.

3. Using a small knife make five or six slits in the top crust. Bake on the lowest rack in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove pie. Cover edges of crust with foil. Return pie to oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees. Continue to bake for about one hour or until crust is evenly golden brown and apples are tender.

Results
Yum!

Conclusion
Apple pie is good.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, no, you should! I hate peeling apples.

Kelly said...

yay for pie!!

Melanie said...

I agree with Amy! You should post-post-post that pie recipe.