Sunday, February 10, 2008

Rock-Hard Abs? Sadly, no such luck.


After watching a record two (yes, TWO!) cooking shows gushing about the awesome tenderness that is braised beef, I decided I had to conquer this beast. I went down to my Farmer's Market, where they sell Texas Long Horn Steak. I asked him for the best recommendation for a braised beef and he gave me a nice cut of flank steak.

In the midst of my research on how to best braise this steak, I asked Amy and Alex for advice. They both seemed nonplussed that I intended to use flank steak for braising and told me to cook it as a normal piece of steak. I was a little confused but also a little panicked, so ... I took their advice.

I prepared it the way I would any nice piece of filet or porterhouse and the results were tough little nuggets I could barely chew around. I was so sad. Martin had mashed the potatoes to an amazing creamy puree and I had a great presentation.

I think next time I might not cook flank steak this way. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You bought a steak specifically for braising but then didn't braise it? Why not?

Unknown said...

I think you should make Alex and Amy post about this, because they are the ones who led you astray and clearly they are the but I suck at cookers here.