Sunday, June 29, 2008

Coconut Ice Cream?

Mystery foodTommy and I had a bad culinary week last week. I wanted to make some more ice cream, so I chose coconut ice cream. I like coconut, both the flavor and the texture of the flakes. Tommy insisted on buying REAL coconuts and harvesting the coconut flakes and coconut cream from the REAL coconuts. Awesome. We proudly walked out of the grocery store with 3 REAL coconuts. When we got home, we drilled into one of the eyes to drain the liquid (is it called coconut milk at this point?). Then I baked them for about 10 minutes. Tommy took a hammer to them and we took off the bark and then the second layer of bark. The flesh went into the food processor. Finally, coconut flakes! I sweetened them up and proceeded to make the coconut ice cream using the coconut, heavy cream, half and half, and some sugar. The result? Flavorless white ice cream with tons of coconut flake (those were flavorless too). Oh, and the ice cream has this strange crystall-like texture that doesn't resemble ice cream at all.

1 comment:

Tommy Vernieri said...

It's all true. It doesn't seem possible that this and the Nutella ice cream came out of the same machine.