Monday, June 30, 2008

Creamed Spinach

I'd taken some veal out of the freezer, but it hadn't fully defrosted for dinner tonight, so I had to scramble to come up with something to make.

I decided to reheat some leftovers and make some new veggie sides. My crisper was pretty empty - I missed the Farmer's Market in favor of Emily's bachelorette party. Martin and I had gone to the grocery store but only bought bare bones supplies, barely enough to last until Sunday, when I could replenish at the next Farmer's Market day.

Based on that, I came up with creamed spinach and tomato gratin. Take a guess at which you think the disaster was. :)

I picked this recipe because it was the only decent looking one I found that did not call for heavy cream, which I didn't have on hand. Everything was going fine until I threw it all into the food processor.

The line that says pulse until creamy? Yeah, it'll never become that. Instead, you'll get a weird, lumpy, grainy, watery green mixture. It's not appetizing at all. :)

Thinking about it now, I think where I went wrong was adding chicken broth to the mixture. I spent a long time squeezing all the water out of the spinach, to make sure that it wouldn't make anything watery. But then I went and added the chicken broth, thereby undoing all my good.

1 comment:

ek said...

i think it might be impossible to make a really good creamed spinach without heavy cream... but i am a spinach snob.