Friday, June 27, 2008

Pasta, green and clumpy

Is it considered cooking if the only step involved is boiling salted water? Pasta's pretty easy but plain old pasta gets boring. I wanted something different. Maybe something wide, or squiggly. Whole Foods was not up to the challenge. They had gnocchi but I was not in a gnocchi mood. So I went with fresh pasta; I had seen it many times before and it always intrigued me. Store-bought fresh pasta? Then is it really fresh? It's more expensive, maybe it's better.

Wrong.

Pasta Failed

I was skeptical from the start. After all, it looked like one big green blob of spinach fettuccine, formed into a nice rectangular brick. It turns out that the impressive powers of boiling water had no hope of pulling those strands apart. I poked and prodded it for ten minutes and all I ended up with was clumps.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Tommy, I'm sorry your fresh pasta didn't turn out right! You should really try it again.

When you are in CA, we should go to the fresh pasta stand at the Farmer's Market that I go to get my pasta. He has great pasta and I've made it with wonderful results.

Tommy Vernieri said...

I think maybe it's because no one buys the fresh pasta from our Whole Foods. Who know how long those fettuccine were sitting side by side, mushed together in a little plastic container.