Monday, March 3, 2008

Fail

I have been wanting to start experimenting with some healthier recipes, to see if there are any totally awesome ones. I decided my first attempt would be Eggplant Cannelloni, which is still not super-healthy, but at least has vegetables in it. So I wrote down the ingredients and headed to Trader Joe's (I don't usually go there, but a fancy dinner calls for fancy shopping, right?) When I arrived at Trader Joe's, I realized three things.

1. Trader Joe's doesn't carry eggplant, or anything else I would ever need/want.
2. Are eggplants even in season? Do they have a season?
3. I have absolutely no idea what capers are (of course, I do now. I looked it up when I got home)

Anyway, since I realized I am not yet educated enough to attempt such a fancy meal, I ended up buying the ingredients I could find and some frozen dinners, which I plan on making tonight. I'm not sure why I still bought a few of the ingredients. Now I have this random assortment of food in my apartment and nothing to do with it.

A summary for Rachel:

I decided I wanted to make Eggplant Cannelloni tonight, but I realized I didn't have any eggplant, garlic, shallots, capers, goat cheese, roasted red peppers, olives, parsley or oranges so I went to the grocery store. While I was there, I realized I'm dumb, so then I just bought a frozen dinner, and it was good.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

So what did you end up buying?

Amy said...

I <3 you and will send you an eggplant when they are in season. I don't really know when that is, but I think it's late summer. Also, Trader Joe's is great for trail mix, bad for "real" food. If you don't consider trail mix real food.

The end.

Anonymous said...

Brian: For my frozen dinner, if that's what you mean, I bought some frozen macaroni and cheese (ridiculous, I know). The ingredients I bought for the recipe were shallots, an orange, goat cheese, and olives.

Amy: I heart you too! Yeah, I discovered that information about Trader Joe's today. I thought they would have lots of fresh produce. I was very wrong.

Kelly said...

So what are capers? I've been trying to figure that out for a while too.

Amy said...

Capers are like mysteries, except more fun.

Amy said...

"Brian, do you know what capers are?"
"Duh, yes."
"well, what?"
"They come in jars. They are tiny little green things."
"Yes, but what ARE they?"
"I think... they grow... somewhere. And they are salty. And they put them in oil."

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capers

Rachel said...

Dear Emily,

I love you.

love,
rachel

Lead Betty said...

I'm crying. And laughing. And crying. I keep reading more and more of your blog and I think you are writing about my life. This particular post has happened to me on so many occasions. I'm so happy I'm not alone. Capers escape me.